Dr. Carlo received his Ph.D. in Developmental Psychology from Arizona State University in 1994. Currently, he is the Millsap Professor of Diversity and Multicultural Psychology at the Department of Human Development and Family Studies at the University of Missouri. He teaches courses in child development, prosocial and moral development, and culture. His primary area of interest is culture and moral development. His research focuses on the sociocultural, socialization, and personality processes associated with helping behaviors in children and adolescents.
- Culture and Ethnicity
- Ethics and Morality
- Helping, Prosocial Behavior
- Interpersonal Processes
- Personality, Individual Differences
- Carlo, G., Crockett, L., & Carranza, M. (Eds.) (2011). 57th Annual Symposium on Motivation: Health Disparities in Youth and Families: Research and Applications. New York: Springer Publications.
- Carlo, G., & Edwards, C. P. (Eds.). (2005). 51st Annual Symposium on Motivation: Moral development across the lifespan. Lincoln, NE: University of Nebraska Press.
- Villaruel, F., Carlo, G., Azmitia, M., Grau, J., Cabrera, N., & Chahin, J. (Eds.). (2009). Handbook of U.S. Latino Psychology. Sage Publications.
- Armenta, B. E., Knight, G. P., Carlo, G., & Jacobson, R. P. (2011). The relation between ethnic group attachment and prosocial tendencies: The mediating role of ethnically related cultural values. European Journal of Social Psychology, 41, 107-115.
- Carlo, G., Crockett, L. J., Randall, B. A., & Roesch, S. C. (2007). Parent and peer correlates of prosocial development in rural adolescents: A longitudinal study. Journal of Research on Adolescence, 17, 301-324.
- Carlo, G., Eisenberg, N., Troyer, D., Switzer, G., & Speer, A. L. (1991). The altruistic personality: In what contexts is it apparent? Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 61, 450-458.
- Carlo, G., Knight, G. P., McGinley, M., Zamboanga, B. L., & Jarvis, L. (2010). The multidimensionality of prosocial behaviors: Evidence of measurement invariance in early Mexican American and European American adolescents. Journal of Research on Adolescence, 20(2), 334-358.
- Carlo, G., McGinley, M., Hayes, R., Batenhorst, C., & Wilkinson, J. (2007). Parenting styles or practices? Parenting, sympathy, and prosocial behaviors among adolescents. Journal of Genetic Psychology, 168, 147-176.
- Carlo, G., McGinley, M., Roesch, S. C., & Kaminski, J. (2008). Culture group, age, and gender measurement invariance in prosocial moral reasoning among adolescents from Brazil and the United States. Journal of Moral Education, 37, 485-502.
- Carlo, G., & Randall, B. A. (2002). The development of a measure of prosocial behaviors for late adolescents. Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 31, 31-44.
- Hardy, S., & Carlo, G. (2005). Identity as a source of moral motivation. Human Development, 48, 232-256.
- Laible, D., Eye, J., & Carlo, G. (2008). Dimensions of conscience in mid-adolescence: Links with social behavior, parenting, and temperament. Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 37, 875-887.
- de Guzman, M. R. T., Carlo, G., & Edwards, C. P. (2008). Prosocial behaviors in context: Examining the role of children’s social companions. International Journal of Behavioral Development, 32(6), 522-530.
- Carlo, G. (2006). Care-based and altruistically-based morality. In M. Killen & J. G. Smetana (Eds.), Handbook of moral development (pp. 551-579). Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Carlo, G., & Hart, D. (Eds.). (2005). Moral development during adolescence [Special Issue]. Journal of Research on Adolescence.
- Carlo, G., PytlikZillig, L., Roesch, S. C., & Dienstbier, R. A. (in press). The elusive altruist: The psychological study of the altruistic personality. In D. Narvaez & D. Lapsley (Eds.), Moral Personality, Identity, and Character: An Interdisciplinary Future. Cambridge University Press.
- Child Development and Behavior
- Cultural Diversity
- Latino Families and Youth
- Motivation and Emotion
- Prosocial and Moral Development
Department of Human Development and Family Studies
University of Missouri
410 Gentry Hall
Columbia, Missouri 65211
- Phone: (573) 884-6301
- Fax: (573) 884-5550